[j-nsp] Route Reflection

Stephen Stuart stuart@tech.org
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:23:22 -0700

> > This can be any ip on the router or it can be some other significant
> > number
> > in dotted decimal. It is placed in the cluster_id field of reflected
> > route
> > updates to prevent loops.
>
> Most people use the IP of the router's loopback interface.  It doesn't
> matter what IP you use, it just has to be unique.

It also has to be the same for all route-reflector servers that
"serve" a given set of route-reflector clients. This means that you
either nominate one router of the group of doing the serving to
provide the loopback to use as cluster identifier, or you create a new
space of numbers that don't overlap with your loopbacks (like 0.0.0.1
to identify your first cluster, 0.0.0.2 the second, and so on).

I personally favor the latter for clarity.

Stephen