[j-nsp] Route Reflection

Gary Tate gtate@juniper.net
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:54:52 -0700

On 19/09/2002 11:06, "Jay Young" <jay@net.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> Juniper documentation says:
>
> cluster-identifier -- IP address to use as the cluster identifier.
>
> What IP address should be used and what is it used for?

The cluster id is defined as a 4-byte identifier.  In our implementation
this is configured as an IP address.  You can use any IP address as the
cluster id so long as it is unique per cluster. At no time is it used in
routing so of this you can even use Martians. Like 0.0.0.1

It is only used to identify the cluster so that RRs can discard routes from
other RRs in the same cluster, in the case of redundant RRs and in the
Cluster list which shows the reflection path the route has taken.

> Any pointers would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Jay

------