[j-nsp] GRE tunnel requires PIC?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Aug 28 13:59:22 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:56:52PM -0700, billp wrote:
> I have been unable to find this in the documentation explicitly.
>
> If I wish to configure a GRE (IP) tunnel between two Juniper
> routers, is the Tunnel Services PIC required or recommended?

Without the tunnel services PIC, the only component which can do tunneling
is the routing engine. Without a tunnel pic you can still configure
tunneling, and it will work if you want to tunnel out the fxp0, but since
Juniper turned off the PFE->re forwarding (to stop people from trying to
route with the fxp0 I guess) you can't do it if it involves sending the
packet over the normal hardware. Personally I think it is a shame that you
can't do 64Kbps of v6-in-v4 tunneling without having to buy a tunnel pic
because some twits called for support on their fxp0 routing configuration,
but when has useful functionality and easing the adoption of a new
protocol ever stopped a router vendor before. :)