[j-nsp] Bypass-routing traceroutes

Michael Lyngbøl michael at lyngbol.dk
Thu Dec 11 14:03:04 EST 2003

On 11.12.2003 19:26:10 +0000, Marco Marletta wrote:
> Hi all,
> suppose my Juniper router has a full-routing BGP peering with AS X, on
> interface whose IP is y.y.y.y/30.
> I don't propagate internally the routes I receive from AS X because it is
> active only for test purpose.
> This router receives also the full-routing table from other iBGP peers.
> How can I perform traceroutes from my Juniper through AS X towards all
> destinations I receive on this eBGP peering, instead of using the best
> routes coming from inside?

You cannot prefer the eBGP routes locally on the router and not
re-advertise to iBGP neighbours?

> I want to test the AS X capability of reaching some destinations without
> using it for traffic...

Or a quick hack prefer a couple of hosts (random /32 in what ever
interesting prefix reachable via your new peer) via a static route
pointing at your new peer.

> N.B.
> traceroute <desired destination> source y.y.y.y gateway y.y.y.y-1
> bypass-routing
> appears not to work...

luser at router> traceroute 12.2.88.0 bypass-routing interface so-1/2/2

Works for me - until I managed to crash the M160 5 sec. later ;)

/Michael

--
Michael Lyngbøl -- michael at lyngbol dot dk
Network Architect, AS3292 TDC, IP·backbone