[j-nsp] autonomous-system N loops L / local-as N loops L

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Dec 11 21:17:47 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 07:36:51PM -0500, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
> Further complicating my trouble-shooting process was that rpd would not
> restart on *every* configuration commit. On some occassions I could make
> large changes without trouble, and in other instances, the simple act of
> issuing "commit" after making no changes at all, or simple changes such
> as adding routing-options static routes, would cause an rpd restart.

>From the "wouldn't it be nice" department:

Sometimes it is not easy to predict when committing a complicated set of
changes will result in the automatic reset of a BGP session, or the
automatic soft clearing of a BGP session, or even the automatic restart of
rpd (renames, inserts, group changes, any of a multitude of knobs). It
would be nice if there was a way to get a little warning as to how bad
your flapping is going to be, perhaps with a command to test the proposed
configuration similar to commit check?

Just a thought. :)