[j-nsp] JUNOS Equivalent to CISCO IOS next-hop-self

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Dec 15 22:02:06 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 05:57:36PM -0800, Pedro Roque Marques wrote:
> > http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos61/swconfig61-routing/html/protocols-overview4.html#1014007
> >
> > See paragraph below "Alternate and Tiebreaker Preferences".
> >
> > It's a more detailed modifier to the route preference.
>
> Preference and preference2 (BGP localpref) are used as
> tiebreakers. color and color2, although stored in the same data
> structure internally, are not used as tiebreakers as far as i can
> gather from the code or my understanding of what the design is.
>
> mho is that documentation is a tad bit ambiguous.

What is ambiguos about "You can also mark route preferences with
additional route tiebreaker information by specifying a color, color,
and a tiebreaker color, color2."?

It's explicitly, unambiguos saying that color/color2 are used as
tiebreakers. If this is not the factual case, then the documentation
is wrong.

The description of color/color2 in
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos61/swconfig61-policy/html/policy-framework-config8.html#1017021
is also very explicit and unambiguos.

If color/color2 wouldn't by some kind of actual metric, it wouldn't make
sense to allow adding/subtracting to/from the value.

Regards,
Daniel