[j-nsp] JUNOS Equivalent to CISCO IOS next-hop-self

Pedro Roque Marques roque at juniper.net
Mon Dec 15 20:57:36 EST 2003

dr at cluenet.de (Daniel Roesen) writes:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 03:51:45PM -0800, Pedro Roque Marques wrote:
> > > Which is generally a bad idea because color influences the best path
> > > decision process (if only as a very late criteria).
> >
> > I don't believe that is correct.
> >
> > In what do you base yourself ? i.e. is that written somewhere ?
>
> Yes:
>
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos61/swconfig61-routing/html/protocols-overview4.html#1014007
>
> See paragraph below "Alternate and Tiebreaker Preferences".
>
> It's a more detailed modifier to the route preference.
>
> So, looking from the "How the Active Route Is Determined" it is
> influencing even actually very early in the best path decision process.
> :-)

Preference and preference2 (BGP localpref) are used as
tiebreakers. color and color2, although stored in the same data
structure internally, are not used as tiebreakers as far as i can
gather from the code or my understanding of what the design is.

mho is that documentation is a tad bit ambiguous.

  Pedro.