[j-nsp] BGP origination

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Feb 1 12:13:01 EST 2003

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 08:10:37AM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> You miss my point. Say a customer comes to you with their own /24, but
> they don't speak BGP (it happens). You have to announce it for them, and
> put it on an interface for them. If you want to use a static route for a
> holddown, you're either gonna be putting it on the interface as 2 /25s, or
> bust.

The latter is actually what we do in the "customer PI case".  Put a /24
as a static null route into our routers, and redistribute that to BGP.
In the IGP, the customer route is routed as two /25s - which has the
advantage that tricks like dial-backup work just as easily as for PA
customers, and still any internal instability won't affect the BGP
advertisement.

It's a bit ugly for troubleshooting, though.

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * Braunschweig *