[j-nsp] BGP origination

Peter van Oene pvo at usermail.com
Mon Feb 3 07:24:13 EST 2003

At 12:13 PM 2/1/2003 +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 08:10:37AM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> > You miss my point. Say a customer comes to you with their own /24, but
> > they don't speak BGP (it happens). You have to announce it for them, and
> > put it on an interface for them. If you want to use a static route for a
> > holddown, you're either gonna be putting it on the interface as 2 /25s, or
> > bust.
>
>The latter is actually what we do in the "customer PI case".  Put a /24
>as a static null route into our routers, and redistribute that to BGP.
>In the IGP, the customer route is routed as two /25s - which has the
>advantage that tricks like dial-backup work just as easily as for PA
>customers, and still any internal instability won't affect the BGP
>advertisement.

I personally try to do everything in my power to keep customer routes out
of my IGP.  The above method works, but tends to break that rule.  In the
cases where one cannot do as dre recommends, which is to allocate a
/31(/30) for the dmz link, then I would prefer to redistribute direct into
BGP using prefix lists to clarify and then actions to assign communities as
many have noted.  Even in the case where you have different classes of
routes to be redistributed, you could easily use a multi-term direct-to-bgp
policy that matches various prefixes lists and assigns different
communities respectively.  In this case, you get very simply provisioning
in that direct-to-bgp stays the same, and one simply needs to populate a
prefix list within the provisioning steps, and you keep your IGP
clean.  Further, this actually leads to less config bloat that per route
communities.

If you have the case where each route needs very different sets of
communities, you might be working with a very unscalable community set
which could benefit from some tweaks :-)

Pete