[j-nsp] vlan tagging

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Wed Feb 5 03:52:49 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 03:47:55AM -0500, German Martinez wrote:
> While working on an interconnection of a Juniper with a Catalyst 6500
> using an 802.1q trunk, we encountered compatibility problems. Every time
> we enable vlan-tagging on the Juniper box, we loose reachability to the
> Cat switch.

Cisco sends frames in the "native" VLAN (by default being VLAN 1)
untagged, Juniper doesn't have this concept and expects all frames to
be tagged. You are most probably experiencing the result of this
discrepancy in some way. I guess you are running the 6500 in layer 2
mode and using sc0 in VLAN 1 as management interface?

Best regards,
Daniel