[j-nsp] error: the routing subsystem is not running

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Fri Mar 7 13:08:42 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 12:48, Ajay Saini wrote:
> Could anyone please tell me why am getting the following error?
>
> aj at Karlstadd-re0> show route
> error: the routing subsystem is not running

That means your rpd process isn't running, which means you won't be
doing a lot of routing on that box. :)

I don't know what your particular problem is, but I've seen this a
couple of times myself, usually related to JunOS upgrades. One
particular case where this has happened that I have seen several times,
is when upgrading boxes we had running JunOS 4.4 to 5.2. During the
upgrade it seems it sometimes fails to install some .conf file (IIRC it
was /var/etc/cos.conf) properly, and rpd would not start up after the
reboot to new JunOS. This was pretty easy to spot from the router logs
(show log messages), and it was only a matter of starting a shell and
getting this file copied in place correctly to make rpd happy again.

/leg