[j-nsp] BGP route-reflection question

Guy Davies Guy.Davies at telindus.co.uk
Wed May 28 10:15:06 EDT 2003

If there is a connection between RR1 and RR2 then the client will maintain
iBGP connections to both of the RRs.  Remember, iBGP is inherently capable
of multihop.

The other possible solution for getting RR1 to accept routes from RR2 is to
give them both different cluster IDs.  There is no requirement for all RRs
associated with a single "cluster" to have a common cluster ID.  Therefore,
each RR would see the other's cluster ID in the cluster list and accept the
prefix.  However, it would still be receiving a better path direct from the
client (shorter cluster list) :-)

To answer your question.  Intracluster reflection is client-to-client
reflection (i.e. routes learned by RR from client A will be reflected to
client B) so there is no requirement for a full mesh within the cluster.  If
you want to turn this off then you can do so with "no-client-reflect" in the
particular group.

Regards,

Guy

g57-routing/html/bgp-config37.html#1015846

states:

"By default, the BGP route reflector performs intracluster reflection
because it assumes that all the client peers are not fully meshed."

Could anybody please clarify to me how this is implemented in JunOS and this
"intracluster reflection" is?

SY,
- --
D.K.