[j-nsp] High latency and slow connections

Blaz Zupan blaz at inlimbo.org
Wed Nov 5 10:12:39 EST 2003

A Juniper M5 running 5.5R1.2 has two STM-1's and a gigabit ethernet
connection. It's been running fine for ages (uptime is 366 days). Today, we
suddenly started seeing extremely high latency through the box (40 ms ping
from a fast ethernet connected box, where it was usually below 1 ms). All
connections exhibit this, no matter which interface they're comming from or
where they're going to. Traffic levels on all interfaces are normal, no high
packet per second rates. No configuration changes.

Only unusual thing that has happened today, one of the two STM-1's has gone
down for about two minutes, this was the first outage on that STM-1 for the
past 365 days, the outage was because of a problem with the SDH equipment.

I have scheduled an emergency reboot of the box because at this point that's
all I can do. I'll upgrade to 5.7 as well to get rid of the annoying
"temperature sensor failed" messages.

Any idea what could be going on. Anyone seen something simmilar?