[j-nsp] Will GE-LX and GE-LH PICS interoperate?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Nov 13 19:40:56 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 04:10:07PM -0800, joe mcguckin wrote:

> Yes, but generally speaking, receivers are sensitive to a wider range of
> frequencies, not just the narrow range emitted by the laser in the
> transmitter.
>
> According to OCP's datasheets, the modules used by Juniper have a RX
> frequency range of 1100 to 1600nm.

Apparently the receivers range is wide enough that they will actually link
and pass packets. I know someone who successfully accomplished this with
the "air attentuation" technique (aka not pushing the fiber in all the
way). I've been known for a lot of ghetto fabulous stuff in my day, but
that one was over the top for me. :)