[j-nsp] JUNOS Equivalent to CISCO IOS next-hop-self

Robert Kiessling Robert.Kiessling at de.easynet.net
Tue Oct 21 03:43:07 EDT 2003

"Paul Goyette" <pgoyette at juniper.net> writes:

> I can confirm that more than one customer has noticed that the
> next-hop-self is unconditional, and therefore one's policy needs
> to be selective WRT which routes are affected by such a policy.

And worse, there is no elegant way to write this policy. I.e. it's not
possible to say

         from {
              bgp-source ebgp;
         }
         then {
              next-hop self;
         }

because the condition "bgp-source ebgp" does not exist. You have to
fiddle around by setting colors or such on the eBGP sessions and then
check ingfor this. Ugly, and error prone.

> I am not aware of any instances where this has been discovered
> only after deployment in production networks.

I can name some. Most networks (by number, not by deployed routers)
don't have a full lab setup where such issues can be seen before
deployment.

Robert