[j-nsp] multicast on M20

harry harry at juniper.net
Thu Oct 23 19:52:03 EDT 2003

Because PIM sparse mode is based on an explicit join model the lack of a S,G
entry indicates the lack of join state; there is no need to forward such
traffic because evidently no one is interested in receiving it.

In a sparse topology traffic only flows when S,G or *,G joins are sent
towards the source or RP respectively.

To my knowledge only multicast traffic that is originated by or destined to
the RE is processed in SW on the RE. The Tunnel PIC handles PIM register
encapsulation in HW.

HTHs.