[j-nsp] rip memory usage

Panny Malialis panny at hotlinks.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 20:53:04 EST 2003

Hello Chaps

I'm a bit of a newbie, been using Juniper 2 weeks, so please go easy on me
:)

I have an M5 with RE 600-512

I have configured 2 full transits, 2 partial transits and about 30 peerings
on the router.

panny at m5-lon1# run show bgp summary
Groups: 6 Peers: 49 Down peers: 6
Table          Tot Paths  Act Paths Suppressed    History Damp State
Pending
inet.0            340365     127518        168        185       1553
0

I have also configured 1 interface to talk RIP to the rest of my core
network devices (about 10 devices in total)

show rip statistics fe-0/0/0.0
RIPv2 info: port 520; update interval 30s; holddown 180s; timeout 120s.
    rts learned  rts held down  rqsts dropped  resps dropped
             71              0              0              0

fe-0/0/0.0:  71 routes learned; 0 routes advertised

Everything is working fine, but...

show chassis routing-engine is showing 67% memory usage

panny at m5-lon1# run show chassis routing-engine
Routing Engine status:
    Temperature                 34 degrees C / 93 degrees F
    DRAM                       512 MB
    Memory utilization          67 percent
    CPU utilization:
      User                       1 percent
      Background                 1 percent
      Kernel                     0 percent
      Interrupt                  0 percent
      Idle                      98 percent
    Model                          RE-3.0
    Serial ID                      P11075100957
    Start time                     2003-10-23 01:17:09 BST
    Uptime                         6 days, 1 hour, 11 minutes, 1 second
    Load averages:                 1 minute   5 minute  15 minute
                                       0.07       0.04       0.00

panny at m5-lon1# run show rip general-statistics
RIPv2 I/O info:
     bad msgs       :         0
     no recv intf   :         0
     curr memory    :      53800
     max memory     :       112168

Is this 53k or 53mb?

Is this unusually high memory usage? I think it is! What do you think ?

Any help, comments would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Panny Malialis
http://www.hotlinks.co.uk