[j-nsp] uRPF config

Josef Buchsteiner josefb at juniper.net
Fri Sep 19 12:44:50 EDT 2003

Friday, September 19, 2003, 8:27:29 AM, you wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, harry wrote:
>> With a Default Route
>> If you configure a default route that uses an interface configured with
>> uRPF, uRPF behaves as follows:

> Right.. but you haven't defined what "uses an interface configured with
> uRPF" means..

is  it  this  what  it  not  clear  in  our  documentation  ? Once you have
configured rpf-check under the interface stanza  rpf is configured for this
interface  and  this  is  what  it  tried  to  say  with "uses an interface
configured with uRPF" ...

   [edit interfaces fe-0/0/0]
      unit 0 {
       family inet {
           rpf-check;

>> Strict mode: If the router finds no corresponding route in the routing
>> table, it accepts the packet. The router does not accept the packet
>> when:
>> The packet has a source address that matches a prefix in the routing
>> table; or
>> The interface does not expect to receive a packet with this source
>> address prefix.
>> Loose mode: The router automatically accepts all packets. For this
>> reason, we recommend that you not configure uRPF loose mode on
>> interfaces that the default route uses.

> [...]
>>
>> The key is that loose accepts the packet, regardless of the incoming
>> interface, as long as there is a route in the routing table to that
>> prefix. The issue with loose in combination with a default route is that
>> all packets will be accepted. Core routers should not rely on a default
>> route, IMO, but this is the reason for the caveat.

> .. that is, if you have a static discard default route in your core
> routers, is your uRPF config hosed.  Note that discard default routes do
> not belong to any interface, so it is not clear whether your first
> statement applies.

  this  is  correct  since  it  does  not point to an interface it will get
  discarded.

  thanks
  Josef