[j-nsp] VoIP Queuing Buffer settings & QOS Mechanics

Damon Pegg damon.pegg at uk.easynet.net
Wed Feb 4 05:53:12 EST 2004

So you are saying that whilst two high priority queues are configured
round-robin occurs between the two so long as they are in credit, even if
one is strict-high?  This means that strict high effectively doesn't give
you anything more than if you configure a high priority queue with 100%
transmit rate, or am I missing something.  So 'strict' is just a keyword to
achieve this without breaking the calculation of the aggregate transmit
rates?

Also, what is the time-frame over which the transmit-rate is calculated and
replenished?

If I want to run voice and video in two high priority queues, this
architecture means that I can't prioritise one (the former) over the
other..?  So this suggests that to avoid video clogging up voice traffic it
may be better to run video in a low-priority queue with high transmit-rate
and police at the edge to make sure it will always be in credit?

Thanks,

Damon.