[j-nsp] VoIP Queuing Buffer settings & QOS Mechanics

Josef Buchsteiner josefb at juniper.net
Wed Feb 4 06:23:46 EST 2004

Wednesday, February 4, 2004, 11:53:12 AM, you wrote:
DP> So you are saying that whilst two high priority queues are configured
DP> round-robin occurs between the two so long as they are in credit, even if
DP> one is strict-high?

    correct.

DP>  This means that strict high effectively doesn't give
DP> you anything more than if you configure a high priority queue with 100%
DP> transmit rate, or am I missing something.

    correct

DP>   So 'strict' is just a keyword to
DP> achieve this without breaking the calculation of the aggregate transmit
DP> rates?

   implicit  correct  however the transmit b/w settings can not exceed
   100%  of  the  total  stream b/w. The reason why this is done is to
   make sure the strict-high priority traffic never gets behind a long
   low priority traffic and induced jitter if it does exceed a bit its
   allocated b/w.

DP> Also, what is the time-frame over which the transmit-rate is calculated and
DP> replenished?

   I'm not sure what you are after here. If you configure a transmit
   rate of 50% you get b/w allocated to get 50% independent of the
   type of interfaces you use, so I don understand why 'time-frame'
   matters here

DP> If I want to run voice and video in two high priority queues, this
DP> architecture means that I can't prioritise one (the former) over the
DP> other..?

    on M-Serie today you have the current priority levels
    in the right order.

    high +ve
    low  +ve
    high -ve
    low  -ve

DP>  So this suggests that to avoid video clogging up voice traffic it
DP> may be better to run video in a low-priority queue with high transmit-rate
DP> and police at the edge to make sure it will always be in credit?

    could be an option