[j-nsp] QOS Mechanics - PLP and drop-profiles behaviour

Damon Pegg damon.pegg at uk.easynet.net
Wed Feb 11 11:13:52 EST 2004

lol.  That's a little sensitive I'm afraid...

Lets take a summary of a simple and not entirely dissimilar scenario ;)

I have the maximum 4 queues, Q0 - Q3.  Each has a high and low drop
precedence, which is seen internally as PLP 1 for high and PLP 0 for low
drop-precedence.  Lets say for simplicity's sake that I have 1 IP Prec value
mapped into each of my subsequent 8 levels of service in my IP prec/exp/dscp
classification.

I then have 8 drop-profiles defined, one for each of the above.  These can
be TCP or non-tcp or both.

I then have a scheduler that allocates bandwidth, buffer allocations and
assigns drop-profiles.

My maint point here is that the Junos documentation states that these PLP
values that distinguish between the two levels in each queue only have
relevance when the drop-profiles are defined for them under the schedulers
configuration; i.e. High is treated more aggressively by WRED than low
within each queue (presuming your associated drop-profiles dot his, though
actually you could specify the reverse!)  However, even if I remove the
drop-profiles from my scheduler so all queues use default drop-profile, a
congested scenario will result in traffic within a queue with different PLPs
being treated differently, presumably by the WRED mechanism..?  So PLP does
seem to have an associated 'weight' for the WRED even if not user-defined...

damon.