[j-nsp] M20 packet marking for IPv6 and IPv4

Gary Tate gtate at juniper.net
Thu Feb 12 18:41:44 EST 2004

The subject is very broad and not easily explained.  The short
answer to you direct question is that packets can be classified as
they enter a router into a forwarding class by various methods.
This marks the packet to be placed into a Queue on the outgoing
interface.  When the packet leaves the router the DSCP (or EXP etc)
bits are re-written depending on the re-write rules.  There are a
set of default re-write rules already activated which you can see
using the command:

'show class-of-service rewrite-rule'

This is the general mechanism but the subject is very broad and not
easily explained in one e-mail.

Let me give you some pointers and some links to other documentation.

Some examples:

If you wish to change the DSCP bits of packets that enter the router
with more granularity then you need to apply a filter or classifier
on the input interface.

You can match on most of the IPv4 and IPv6 header and mark the DSCP
bits accordingly.

Here is a simple filter example:

filter test {
     term a {
         from {
             protocol ipv4;
         }
         then {
             forwarding-class assured-forwarding;
             accept;
         }
     }
     term b {
         from {
             protocol ipv6;
         }
         then {
             forwarding-class best-effort;
             accept;
         }
     }
}

Here is an example of classifying a whole logical unit to a
forwarding class:

set class-of-service interfaces ge-0/0/0 unit 1 forwarding-class
expedited-forwarding

Interface configuration:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos62/swconfig62-interfaces/html/
CoS overview:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos62/swconfig62-interfaces/html/interfaces-cos-overview.html#1015298
CoS configuration:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos62/swconfig62-interfaces/html/statement-hierarchy-interfaces.html#1013885

Here is a link on configuring firewalls:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos62/swconfig62-policy/download/firewall-config.pdf

I hope this helps
Gary