[j-nsp] OSPF Debug

Raymond Cheh rcheh at juniper.net
Sun Feb 22 18:06:32 EST 2004

Scotty,

I'd suggest doing some 'traceoptions hello detail' and that'd capture
the hello packets on both routers. Also, I personally like to do
monitor traffic on the interfaces as it is simpler to see if you
receives the OSPF packets on the interfaces from the other routers.

The "attempt" state is interesting. Does it really say that? The
M20 is in 'init' state, so it is seeing the hello's from the M160.
And so, the question is whether the M160 is receiving the hello
packets and if it is rejecting them for some reasons.

My guess is that when you tried using ip addresses on the interfaces,
you can ping between the routers because the bgp session is working.
Are you using the GE ip addresses for your bgp endpoints? If you are
using the loopback addresses, they may not go through this GE link.

Let me know what you find! I am quite sure there aren't any changes
between 5.6 and 6.2 in basic OSPF that may cause this problem but I'll
set it up myself and verify that. Thanks.

Raymond