[j-nsp] PE-2E3 with Cisco VXR

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Wed Jan 21 04:05:43 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 17:55, Alexandre Abreu wrote:

> Anyone successfully tried to connect a Juniper PE-2E3 PIC to a Cisco
> PA-2E3 using a DSU mode other than kentrox? I'm targetting the use of
> digital link dsu mode (no subrate) but it doesn't work well. The link
> comes up, but there's a lot of packet loss. I've tried all
> combinations for clock sources, scrambling modes, ... but can't seem
> to get it to work properly.

We have tried that and experienced the same problems you are describing
(lots of errors on the interface). By playing around with various
e3-options it got somewhat better (I seem to remember we needed to set
the "e3-options idle-cycle-flag ones" among other things), but since it
seems like Cisco and Juniper have a different opinion on "Digital Link"
mode, we gave up playing around with it and just went with using Kentrox
mode ("dsu mode 1" on the Ciscos) everywhere, since that works fine.

/leg