[j-nsp] Feature idea: commit and-reboot

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Jan 21 12:05:15 EST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Ryburn, Justin wrote:
> I think keeping the existing restart/reload methods is probably a good
> idea.  However, having something like 'commit after-reload' might be
> useful.  Then you could just reload as normal and the changes would be
> made when the router boots back up.  Might also be a good idea to have
> some kind of warning when you reload that the current configuration and
> the startup configuration differ.  Just in case someone did a 'commit
> after-reload' and never did their reload.

This idea is a bit problematic.  The syntactic config checker is a bit
.. lacking.  You wouldn't want to run into a situation where at
reboot, the router wouldn't come up due to invalid configuration.  So,
in that light something like 'commit delay-activation' sounds like a
better idea (activation would be done when rebooting) if necessary --
I personally don't see much value in that though.