[j-nsp] RSVP LSP BW reservations

Guy Davies Guy.Davies at telindus.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 07:25:56 EST 2004

Hi Harpreet,

Without some external (to RSVP and MPLS) mechanism to police the traffic
entering an LSP, then traffic associated with either LSP can consume the
entire 155Mbps (minus the overhead, obviously ;-).  The mechanisms in
RSVP-TE are simply used at the time the LSP is setup to derive a path from
end to end over which there is sufficient un-reserved capacity.  So if,
subsequent to setting up LSP A and LSP X, you try to setup LSP P with a
reservation of 100 Mbps, then assuming that LSPs A and X use the same egress
interface from the LSR, LSP P will have to find an alternative path using a
different egress interface (60 + 40 + 100 > 155) with a minimum of 100 Mbps
of un-reserved bandwidth.  If no such link exists, then the setup of LSP P
fails.

Regards,

Guy