[j-nsp] Feature idea: commit and-reboot

Rob Enns rpe at juniper.net
Fri Jan 23 20:26:50 EST 2004

Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net> wrote:
>While attempting to combine a software upgrade and reboot with a commit
>change that would require a routing bounce (to minimize flaps obviously),
>I noticed that there is no way to make a change which will take affect
>after the reboot is complete.

You can say "commit at reboot". JUNOS will do a commit check but
not apply it until you reboot. If there's a pending commit,
no further changes will be allowed to the configuration.
A pending commit can be cleared with "clear system commit", and "show
system commit" will tell you if there's a pending commit.

The completion help for "commit at" doesn't say that it will
accept "reboot" as a time to commit, so perhaps this is a bit of
a stealth feature.

We don't have a way to combine this with a software upgrade,
changing the configuration and upgrading the software are kept as
distinct operations.

Rob