[j-nsp] Aggregate and directly connected routes (route preference)

Robin Balen robin at gyron.net
Mon Jan 26 20:37:19 EST 2004

Hi there,

Is it possible to announce an aggregate route to your eBGP peers that also
happens to be directly connected to an interface on the router?

For example:

aggregate {
    route 5.5.5.0/24 {
        passive;
    }
    route 6.6.6.0/24 {
        passive;
    }
}

fe-0/0/0
    unit 0 {
        family inet {
            address 5.5.5.1/24 {
                primary;
                preferred;
            }
            address 6.6.6.1/24;
        }
    }
}

policy-statement send-AGG {
    term send {
        from protocol aggregate;
        then accept;
    }
    term reject-rest {
        then reject;
    }
}

After an initial glance, it would seem that the aggregate route is marked
inactive in the routing table because of the route preference (directly
connected routes take preference over aggregate routes).

Is this merely marked inactive from the point of view of this router, and
when "send-AGG" is exported to an eBGP peer it would be announced as a
aggregate, or am I getting completely the wrong end of the stick here and
need to approach this from a different angle?

I need the aggregate routes to be announced to the eBGP peers. Incoming
traffic (from the outside world) to these prefixes would then be directed
out from the router on the applicable directly attached fe connection. Any
outgoing traffic from the internal network would be directed towards 5.5.5.1
(for example) as a default gateway, and then passed to the outside world
using the routes learned from the eBGP peers.

Thanks in advance,

Robin Balen