[j-nsp] Aggregate and directly connected routes (route preference)

Robin Balen robin at gyron.net
Mon Jan 26 21:30:23 EST 2004

Gary,

> You could advertise the aggregate if you really want to by using
> advertise-inactive option on the bgp group or neighbor that you wish
> the aggregate to be advertised on.  This is needed because as
> you have mentioned the aggregate will always be inactive in this
> configuration.

This sounds good for this specific scenario, as I would like the routes to
be announced independently to the status of the physical interfaces. This is
why I was going to use the aggregate method, even though I'm not actually
aggregating anything.

> However, if the interfaces which have the actual routes go down the
> route will still be advertised and you will sink traffic to
> your router before it is dropped.

That makes sense - thanks!

The advertise-inactive option will choose the "best" route, even if it is
not active. This sounds like what I need. However, would the aggregate
routes be considered the "best" route, or would the interface routes take
priority again? I guess it doesn't actually matter because if the interface
routes are withdrawn due to the interface going down, then the aggregate
routes would step up and be announced instead.

If that's not going to work, just using the interface routes will do the job
just fine.

Thanks for providing a sounding board!

Robin Balen