[j-nsp] redundant bad power supply

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jul 1 17:18:55 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 02:30:05PM -0500, telecom at servidor.unam.mx wrote:

> Hi, Is there any way other than replacing the power supply to stop these
> messages..
>
> Jul  1 11:40:05.965  m20-1 chassisd[4479]: CHASSISD_SNMP_TRAP6: SNMP trap
> generated: Power Supply failed (jnxContentsContainerIndex 2, jnxContentsL1Index
> 1, jnx ContentsL2Index 0, jnxContentsL3Index 0, jnxContentsDescr Power
> Supply A, jnxOperatingState/Temp 6)
>
> I have a bad fan but no time nor money to replace it now.. so just making
> sure i have no alternatives
>
> m20-1> show chassis alarms
> 1 alarms currently active
> Alarm time               Class  Description
> 2004-06-30 10:35:15 PDT  Major  Power Supply A fan failed

Bulletin PSN-2003-12-001
  Title Recommended replacement of older revisions of M20 power supply
Products Affected This issue affects the following power supplies. No
other Juniper Networks products are affected:

Type Model Number Part Number Part Number Revision
M20 AC PWR-M20-AC-S 740-001465 Revision 7 and earlier
M20 DC PWR-M20-DC-S 740-001466 Revision 8 and earlier

To determine the power supply revision, issue the show chassis hardware
command. Following is sample output from the show chassis hardware
command:
Hardware inventory:
Item             Version  Part number  Serial number     Description
Chassis                                23489             M20
Backplane        REV 07   710-001517   AY3396
Power Supply A   REV 04   740-001465   002414            AC
Power Supply B   REV 04   740-001465   002482            AC

Platforms Affected M-series

Revision Number 1
Issue Date 2003-12-02

PSN Issue : Older revisions of M20 power supplies are susceptible to the
following problems:

A specific type of circuitry failure on the M20 power supply could damage
other field replaceable units (FRUs) in the system.

The monitoring circuitry used in the affected power supplies might report
a fan failure even if the fans are operational. These false fan failures
result in the same fan failure alarms and error messages as a real
failure. The only way to tell the difference is to visually inspect the
power supplies’ intake and exhaust fans from the sides of the M20 chassis
to verify they are spinning.

Following is an example of system log messages that report a fan failure:
alarmd[343]: Alarm set: Pwr supply color=RED, class=CHASSIS, reason=Power
Supply B fan failed

tnp_scb CM: ALARM SET: (Major) Power Supply B fan failed

Solution: Corrective actions have been applied to a new revision of the
power supply:
Changes were made to the M20 power supply circuitry to prevent specific
failures from damaging other FRUs in the system.

A component was changed in the fan-sensing circuitry on the M20 power
supply to correct the false fan failure. The newer revision of M20 power
supplies also incorporate more robust, reliable fans to eliminate
premature fan failures.
The following M20 power supplies contain the changes:

Type Model Number Part Number Part Number Revision
M20 AC PWR-M20-AC-S 740-001465 Revision 8 and later
M20 AC PWR-M20-AC-S 740-007311 Revision 1 and later
M20 DC PWR-M20-DC-S 740-001466 Revision 9 and later
M20 DC PWR-M20-DC-S 740-007222 Revision 2 and later

Solution Implementation: Juniper Networks will provide proactive
replacements of all affected power supplies. Customers with affected
revisions of power supplies can contact the JTAC to process an RMA.