[j-nsp] Cisco -- Juniper

K.K. Verma kkverma at juniper.net
Thu Jul 1 21:47:21 EDT 2004

Hi Usman,

If you are copying the running config of Cisco for Juniper E1 interface,
please make sure which PIC you are going to use in Juniper side:
4xE1 or 10xCE1 or 10xCHE1 (IQ PIC)

For both 4xE1 and 10xCE1 PICs  : timeslots range of Cisco's 1-31 is
equivalent to default E1 of Juniper. No need to configure time-slots.
If you want, can configure it for 2-32.

For 10xCHE1 IQ PIC, you need to make E1 partitions.See Juniper Documents
  for details.
For Juniper E1 PICs, time-slots range is 1-32, where time-slots 1 is
reserved for framing byte.

For the current config of Cisco, duplicate config on Juniper's E1 should be:

interfaces {
     e1-1/0/0 {
          unit 0 {
               family inet {
                  address 172.16.2.253/24;
             }
         }
     }

You may configure other parameters, but not needed, because:

Default encapsulation is: PPP
Default time-slots : 2-32
Default Framing : g704
Default MTU : 1504

Cisco is also configured to work with PPP encapsualtions, g704 framing
and time-slots 1-31, which is full framed E1.

Thanks,
KK Verma