[j-nsp] Juniper M40 Overloaded?

Erik Haagsman erik at we-dare.net
Wed Jul 7 09:37:16 EDT 2004

Hi Dennis,

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 15:14, Dennis Ponne wrote:
> In the day time we have around 253.380kpps Load and we have severe packet
> loss threw the juniper's. Sometimes this KPPS flows up to 320.000 and then
> it's really bad.

You probably got your measurements wrong somewhere, or you're reading
them wrong. I presume you're routing 253 Kpps, and not 253380 Kpps, you
should probably read the "." as a decimal floating point, with the .380
being 380 pps, NOT 380 Kpps

If you would be receiving 253380 Kpps, and...

> Totall traffic aggregation threw that router is 1.7GBPS.

...only pushing 1.7 Gbps of bandwidth, I'd say you're the first NSP with
an average package size of approx. 7 bits (less than a byte per packet
seems hardly likely)

> Having in totall 5 gigabit interfaces, with 90 peers and 2 full tables.

1.7 Gbps should not choke an M40 in a set-up like this, and 253 Kpps is
not an unusual high amount of packets. I suggest you start
troubleshooting your network or your config, or perhaps check if any
hardware might be broken.

CHeers,

--
---