[j-nsp] Static routes with aggregation switches

Scott Bethke scott at replicenter.com
Thu Jul 8 08:03:46 EDT 2004

I'm wondering how it is that your average Juniper M-Series considers a
next-hop active/inactive, and is it a tunable thing?

I have:

 M20 -gig1--> Agg-Switch -gig2-> CustomerSw

I static route 10.1.95.0/24 to next-hop on CustomerSW, I yank gig2 and the
10.1.95.0/24 static route is still showing "Active".  Of course, if I yank
gig1 the prefix goes away.  Is it possible to do what I want with an
aggregation switch and static routing, or do I need to use a dynamic
protocol or directly attached port with my customer?

-Scotty