[j-nsp] Static routes with aggregation switches

Daniel Verlouw daniel at eu.tachyon.net
Thu Jul 8 09:18:13 EDT 2004

> What kind of mechanism do you expect to use to discover that gig2 goes
> down, if you don't want to use a dynamic routing protocol?

Some switch vendors support end-to-end link detection failure using
proprietary keep alive packets, even if there are intermediate layer-2
devices installed in between them. This does require the same vendor on
both ends though.

AFAIK  Juniper does not support such mechanisms. Correct me if I'm
wrong ;-)

-Daniel.