[j-nsp] PIC hotswappable?

daniel daniel at claudius.demon.nl
Thu Jul 15 16:33:06 EDT 2004

On 20:53 Thu 15 Jul     , Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 02:45:56PM -0400, Eric Van Tol wrote:
> > If what you say about the M20/M40 is true, then the documentation on the
> > Juniper site needs to be updated:
>
> I think it's just a physical problem, not an electrical one, as the
> PICs are the same, and probably the FPC bus electronics as well.
> Just the ejector is missing.
>
> Having said this, I still don't understand Juniper's decision to not
> provide the necessary physical support for hotswapping PICs on non
> M5/M10... can someone from Juniper enlighten us on the background of
> that?

it's my understanding there is a difference in the electrical termination
of the PIC-FPC interface. Hence hot-swap on m20/m40 cannot be implemented
reliably. If you try and it works, fine; but be aware YMMV. That's aside
from the fact there's a good chance of damaging the FPC connector (especially
on installation).

Cheers,
Daniel.