[j-nsp] policer question

Wayne E. Bouchard web at typo.org
Thu Jul 29 19:04:24 EDT 2004

Hi,

Quick question regarding policer configutation. I have a link thats
got a /29 hanging off of it. The traffic is overwhelmingly inbound to
the router (like near 10 to 1.) This net has the potential to be a DOS
target. So to prevent the entire subnet from being unusable, I want to
set up something to permit only 15 megabits inbound to any individual
machine but not 15 megs total. Now, I could set this up with an access
list and a policer like so:

interfaces {
  ge-1/3/0 {
    vlan-tagging;
    unit 12 {
       vlan-id 12;
       family inet {
         filter {
           output dos-filter;
         }
         address 10.0.0.1/29;
       }
    }
  }
}

firewall {
  policer 15-meg {
     if-exceding {
        bandwidth-limit 15m;
        burst-size-limit 100k;
     }
     then discard;
  }
  filter dos-filter {
    term host1 {
      destination-address {
        10.0.0.2/32;
      }
      then policer 15-meg;
    }
    term host2 {
      destination-address {
        10.0.0.3/32;
      }
      then policer 15-meg;
    }

    [ etc for 3, 4, 5, or however many ]

    term default {
      then policer 15-meg;
    }
  }
}

But this seems kludgy. There a better way to go about it?

---
Wayne Bouchard
web at typo.org
Network Dude