[j-nsp] policer question

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Fri Jul 30 04:44:02 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 01:04, Wayne E. Bouchard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quick question regarding policer configutation. I have a link thats
> got a /29 hanging off of it. The traffic is overwhelmingly inbound to
> the router (like near 10 to 1.) This net has the potential to be a DOS
> target. So to prevent the entire subnet from being unusable, I want to
> set up something to permit only 15 megabits inbound to any individual
> machine but not 15 megs total. Now, I could set this up with an access
> list and a policer like so:
[snip]

Yes - instead of making all the /32 policers individually yourself, use
a prefix-action, like so (inserted into your config snippet):

firewall {
  policer 15-meg {
     if-exceding {
        bandwidth-limit 15m;
        burst-size-limit 100k;
     }
     then discard;
  }
  family inet {
      prefix-action max-15 {
          policer 15-meg;
          subnet-prefix-length 29;
          destination-prefix-length 32;
      }
  }
  filter dos-filter {
    term police-subnet {
      destination-address {
        10.0.0.0/29;
      }
      then prefix-action max-15;
    }
}

This will dynamically generate a policer for each individual IP and
police each of them to max 15M. I think this is supported on all JunOS
6.x, at least this feature is in 6.1 and upwards (which is when we
started using it).

/leg