[j-nsp] load balancing 'per flow'

Bosco Sachanandani Bosco.Sachanandani at orange.co.in
Fri Jul 30 06:19:25 EDT 2004

Hello all,

I understand that Internet Processor II only supports load balancing per flow and not per packet (as CEF does).

Can someone throw some more light on what exactly does 'per flow' mean ? The reason I am asking this is:

1) Is it per VRF ? For eg all PE to PE traffic for VRF A will go via link 1 and all PE to PE traffic for VRF B will go via link 2?

2) Or is it that 'flows' between various IP addresses WITHIN each VRF will go via alternate links ? For eg. Prefix 10.0.0.0/8 which is within VRF A will go via Link 1 and Prefix 20.0.0.0/8 which is also within VRF A will go via Link 2 ?

Additionally,
For any sort of load balancing between the 2 PE to PE links, do I need to explicitly add a policy  or will it happen anyway if the IGP recognises it as equal cost links ? We are using LDP between these routers.

Any help would be great. I am running version 5.5R3.1 between 3 M20 routers.

Thanks

“The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. Thank you. Hutchison Max Telecom Pvt. Ltd.”