[j-nsp] Default ARP policer

Frederik Egres fred_egres at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 18:40:45 EST 2004

Hello,

I did realize on our M20 that it drops some ARP packets received from the
gigabit network and
it's due to the default arp policer :

Policers:
Name                                              Packets
__default_arp_policer__                         46630134

We know that we have too many arp traffic on our network but I would like to
know how to change the bandwidth and burst parameter of this default
policer. This doesn't seem documented.
Also how to remove it ?

We know about per-interface arp policer but unless it can scale to thousands
of vlans, we would prefer the aggregate default arp policer.

It appears also that the incoming ARP replies on the M20, matching ARP
requests previously sent, are never dropped by the policer. Like if policer
keeps a table of the pending request/reply ?

Thanks,
-F.