[j-nsp] SCB Utilization Threshold?

Kashif.Khawaja at Broadwing.com Kashif.Khawaja at Broadwing.com
Tue Mar 23 13:42:20 EST 2004

Hi Kashif,

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 18:34, Kashif.Khawaja at Broadwing.com wrote:
> What would be a good digit for the utilization of the SCB before we
> should raise and alarm and look at what might be going on to avoid
> service impact?

That's basically a very individual and site-speficic choice and it's completely dependant
on your base-line usage. If you normally only utilise 5% and all of a sudden it starts
doing 50%, chances are you've got a problem.

>> true but the question remains. Is 50% high enough to bog down a router being used in a
true carrier class capacity?

But if you're doing 50% under normal circumstances, you're looking at higher percentages.
I'm not really sure at what percentage of usage routing performance starts to suffer, but
I'd start getting pretty worried round de 90% marker

>> this is more along the lines I was thinking of.

and I'd preferrably start thinking about expanding my routing capacity  at 75% - 80%
base-line usage.

Cheers,

--
---