[j-nsp] PIC Compatibility Matrix

Kashif.Khawaja at Broadwing.com Kashif.Khawaja at Broadwing.com
Thu Mar 25 17:36:08 EST 2004

Hello Everyone,

In an effort to determine parts can be used where I have been going through the Juniper's
website to find some definitive information once and for all about what PICs can be used
in what platform. This link below shows a PIC compatibility matrix saying e.g. a 1-port
GigE ( I understand they could be different parts physically/electronically) PIC can be
used in an M10, M20, M40e, M160 (FPC1) and M320 (FPC1).
http://www.juniper.net/products/ip_infrastructure/modules/100055.html
Then you dig a little deeper and you find this link:
http://www.juniper.net/products/ip_infrastructure/modules/100044.html#ordering and you see
specific part numbers for the different PICs that go into their respective platforms.

My understanding (if I remember correctly, though I can't remember the rationale behind
it) was PICs from, say, M10 and M160 are interchangeable and the same goes for M20 and
M40. I see the part number for the GigE PIC for M5, M7i, M10, M10i is PE-1GE-LH, for an
M20 it is P-1GE-LH and for M40e, M160, M320 it is PB-1GE-LH. Base on this I would have to
deduce, at least, that the PICs for the M160 and M10 are not interchangeable. Am I
off-base here?

The other question is how can I find out if a PIC for an M10 can used in an M160 as well
or a PIC for an M40 can be used in an FPC in M20 as well? And what kind of restrictions
does having an FPC2 introduce in this. I notice in the first link FPC does not support
most of the modules FPC1 does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Kashif.
 +++The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
document.+++