[j-nsp] OT - IP address assignment from APNIC

Bosco Sachanandani Bosco.Sachanandani at orange.co.in
Fri Mar 26 00:46:54 EST 2004

hi all,

There are quite of few of you Internet experts as part of this group so I just want some friendly advice if you have the time.

We provide GPRS services in India in 11 networks spread across the country and are currently dependent (BIG TIME!) on our upstream provider for IP addresses as well as connectivity (hence limited redundancy without multi-homing and less than optimal routing / reachability). We currently have a /24 subnet assigned to us but would possibly exhaust another /24 subnet in the next one year.

Based on discussions with my management, we are looking at getting our own IP addresses from APNIC since we are "technically speaking" an ISP and require multi-homing.

Just want to get a feel of how easy / difficult is it to get these addresses?

1) We have detailed network documentation / justification for new addresses etc in place

2) Will APNIC assign a /23 to us given that our requirement is limited? but we will require a sizeable amount in the next one-year or so? I have read RFC2050 and gone through the APNIC site but a second real world opinion will surely help.

3) Approx. what is the 'worst-case' scenario on the amount of time that it can take to get this from the drawing board to you guys seeing our routes in you border routers!? (As always management needs a date!)

Any pointers/advice/links on the net to help this would be great!

Thanks

regards,
Bosco