[j-nsp] fabric drops ?

harry harry at juniper.net
Wed May 12 13:46:49 EDT 2004

I believe that these represent packets that were received by an ingress
T-series FPC and destined to egress on a different FPC. This traffic must
transit the T-series switch fabric. In this case it seems that the traffic
was dropped because the destination FPC was not able to service the traffic
in the confines of the T-series delay-bandwidth buffer (some 100
milliseconds, if not mistaken). Packets that are not serviced in this
delay-bandwidth time-period are simply overwritten by newer traffic.

I would suspect that you have an issue of more ingress traffic being
directed to egress on a given FPC/PIC/port than that FPC/PIC/port can
handle. This many to one situation can lead to fabric drops; why send
traffic over the fabric to an egress FPC, only to have it dropped by the
egress FPC because it is unable to handle the offered load? This may also be
an issue of incorrect CoS related settings, or perhaps the use of
fabric-override, which is rarely used.

Some information can be found at:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos63/swcmdref63/html/cos-m
onitor6.html#1137498