[j-nsp] Force SFMs to stay offline

Majdi Abbas majdi at puck.nether.net
Fri Nov 19 16:07:46 EST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 09:50:14AM +0100, Michael Lyngbøl wrote:
> On 19.11.2004 02:10:07 +0000, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> > Is there a way to force an SFM to stay offline (say for example when the
> > RAM starts to go bad and generate ECC errors for days, or until you send a
> > tech out to pull the card)? It seems that if you disable it through
> > "request chassis sfm slot <#> offline", it will automatically turn them
> > all back on after you commit any config change.
>
> user at m160-re0> request chassis sfm slot 0 offline
> Offline initiated, use "show chassis sfm" to verify

	Michael,

	I've seen the problem Rich has described on at least a
dozen m160s.  After offlining the SFM due to bad memory, at some
later date/time, it would return to an online state, and start causing
packet corruption problems or similar, again.

	At one point, we had an expect script running that would
login and alert us to this condition when it recurred.

	The only fix we came up with was to have a tech onsite pull
them.

	--msa