[j-nsp] MPLS transport / 1GE-LH

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Oct 21 17:04:55 EDT 2004

> This brings up an issue that I have been playing with. IF you are
> running mpls lsps over an Ethernet network. What should the media MTU be
> set to in order to make things as transparent as possible. The config
> below has 1568, and I'm curious how you came to that number.

That number was decided for other reasons, we simply had to make it
"large enough" that ethernet-ccc would work. It could definitely have
been made smaller than 1568.

Note that we prefer to have some headroom, and setting for instance IP
MTU explicitly, instead of trying to make the physical interface MTU
fit everything. YMMV.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no