[j-nsp] RIP MD5 Key ID

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Mon Oct 25 18:02:13 EDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 10:21:04PM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 03:37:00PM -0400, Ed_Wingert at 3com.com wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to define a Key ID for RIP MD5 Authentication on the
> > Juniper M40 running version 6.4R1.6?
>
> set protocols rip authentication-type md5
> set protocols rip authentication-key ...

OK, I do see the problem now, and I was unable to get RIP working
between a Cisco IOS 12.2(25)S1 and JunOS 6.4R2. RFC2082 clearly defines
the key identifier, which IOS does implement with the "key <number>"
statement in the key chain definition. Even using a key ID 0 on IOS
side to trick around JunOS probably setting the key identifier field
to zero doesn't help to get communication between IOS and JunOS going.

Whatever JunOS implements there... it's not RFC2082 compliant as far
as I can see.

Sorry Ed, looks like a real JunOS problem.

Best regards,
Daniel