[j-nsp] Rate limit functionality.

Milind Deshpande Milind.Deshpande at relianceinfo.com
Thu Sep 2 01:13:50 EDT 2004

Hello All,

I have some queries on rate limit & L2 VPN.

Consider a following topology. CustA & B are connected to PE1 on e1
interface. & IPE is a Internet gateway router.

                        Customer A

                           | (e1-0/1/0:1)
Cutomer B------------------------PE1 ---------------------------- IPE2
-----GE subinterface for Cust. A
            (e1-0/1/0:2)                          |

                                      GE subinterface for Cust. B

Assume that we are running L2 VPN from PE1 to IPE2 for each customer &
applied the Rate limiting on IPE2 Router on each subinterface (for eg.
1Mbps rate limit is applied for Cutomer A & 512 Kbps for Customer B on
respective GE subinterface)

Now my question is,
(I) as Cutomer is having E1 link, can the utilization on those E1
interfaces will shoot up more than the rate limited speed.
(II) At any given time can the customer utilized more than rate limited
speed + burst limit. (for e.g if burst limit for Cust A is 15Kbps, is it
possible for Cust A to use 1.3Mbps)

Many Thanks
Milind.