[j-nsp] PIM adjacencies between VRRP virtual interfaces

Niels Bakker niels=juniper-nsp at bakker.net
Mon Sep 6 16:03:33 EDT 2004

* pgoyette at juniper.net (Paul Goyette) [Mon 06 Sep 2004, 15:44 CEST]:
> There is no exception for BGP as far as I know.  The JNCIP study
> guide is not a statement of what is supported, although it may
> be a statement of what happens to work today.

Indeed.  VRRP is unsuitable for anything involving state.  Sure you can
do BGP to a virtual address but sessions will flap, causing routing
instability throughout your network (or possibly the world if you're
directly forwarding a prefix to your upstreams).

I'm not sure about PIM adjacencies, though.  They have a way of allowing
to be established into only one direction.  Why can't you (the original
poster) have two PIM neighbours active?

	-- Niels.