[j-nsp] PIM adjacencies between VRRP virtual interfaces

Robert Walton robert.walton at FFastFill.com
Tue Sep 7 06:13:26 EDT 2004

Niels/All,

	I'm hoping that i can, unforunately i've inherited an architecture whereby vrrp is in use. So, an open question again, can the adjacencies establish between the logical interfaces when vrrp is configured?

For example:

If I have two pairs of routers (1A,2A and 1B, 2B) facing each other on the same VLAN, both pairs of routers are running vrrp between them such that we have effectively two virtual interfaces (vrrp-if A and vrrp-if B) facing each other.

router 1A   ------------  Router 1B

	vrrp-if A	|     vrrp-if B

Router 2A	------------  Router 2B

		    vlan x

If i was to enable PIM on the respective interfaces would the adjacencies be formed between the logical interfaces on each respective router? i.e. would the logical interfaces respond to the PIM hello packets even if vrrp is configured on thye interface? If this is the case then i would assume that i would have no problems with multicast forwarding (dense-mode or sparse) as the dependent information required to undertake this is derived from the PIM communication itself so assuming that the adjacencies are established then it should be ok (?)

Also, is the same applicable to IGMP?

Regards,
Rob