[j-nsp] PIM adjacencies between VRRP virtual interfaces

Niels Bakker niels=juniper-nsp at bakker.net
Tue Sep 7 07:54:41 EDT 2004

* robert.walton at FFastFill.com (Robert Walton) [Tue 07 Sep 2004, 12:13 CEST]:
> I'm hoping that i can, unforunately i've inherited an architecture
> whereby vrrp is in use. So, an open question again, can the adjacencies
> establish between the logical interfaces when vrrp is configured?

Seems to work.  I just tested this a situation with Rtr1 (Cisco) on a
switch together with Rtr1 (Juniper) doing VRRP, enabled PIM sparse-dense
mode on both interfaces, and "sh ip pim nei" and "show pim neighbors"
both showed the other's real IP address as neighbour.

(Bah, disabling PIM on that one interface on the Juniper again caused a
 bounce of all PIM neighbours on all other interfaces.)

While on the subject of PIM - is there a known incompatibility between
PIMv2 on JunOS and IOS?  It seems neighbour states remain one-way (the
Cisco sees the Juniper but not the other way around) unless "version 1;"
is configured on the Juniper's interface.

	-- Niels.